Plumpton College is an amazing location at the foot of the South Downs and only 20 minutes away from the seaside town of Brighton. The College is an agricultural college during the academic year and as such it has a working farm; an Animal Care Centre; stables including one of the best horse-riding schools in the country; and beautiful grounds which can be used for outside activities.
Bucksmore Animal Care
Run in Plumptons specialist Animal Care unit for students aged 13 to 16
- Bucksmore Summer can cater for all levels of English, from elementary through to proficiency.
- The age range for students at Bucksmore Summer is 13-16.
- Bucksmore Summer has a nationality cap of 20%.
Animal Care Classes
Students have the unique opportunity to be taught by both year-round Plumpton staff and Bucksmore staff in the specialist animal care unit at Plumpton College. Three 2.5 hour sessions a week take place with the following break down:
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3|
|• Introduction to the specialised animal care centre.|
• Picking up and holding Guinea Pigs.
• Methods of checking the health and well-being of animals.
• Performing technical animal health checks.
|• Animal identification games.|
• Insights into the anatomy and life of amphibians and invertebrates.
• Up-close and personal with amphibians.
• Key animal care and nourishment routines.
|• Introducing the world of reptiles.|
• Controlling and holding reptiles.
• Constructing and delivering an interactive detailed animal presentation to peers.
The syllabus incorporates language study, language for life, project sessions, excursion link lessons and academic skills sessions.
The language study lessons focus on the communicative style of language learning and provide grammar and vocabulary tailored to a student’s ability. Whereas language for life lessons integrate a wider range of topics including learner training, literacy, culture and life skills.
The course aims to:
- Build language skills and confidence gradually through our multi-level syllabus.
- Help students achieve their individual goals in language learning.
- Gain a better understanding of English books, films, songs, the internet and other media.
Excursion Link Lessons
Excursion link lessons bridge the gap between the academic and activity programme. Students learn about popular tourist attractions and destinations through the medium of English.
Lessons are chosen and adapted by the centre’s Director of Studies to complement the excursions on the programme that week.
Covering a range of destinations including London, Cambridge, Oxford and Brighton, the lessons provide students with vocabulary and language functions necessary to make excursions at Bucksmore that much more memorable.
The Bucksmore Assessment was initially introduced in 2016 after thorough research and analysis of student English language performance.
Uniquely developed by the Bucksmore Academic team to evaluate all abilities in English. It assesses a learner’s skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening and provides a well-rounded assessment of a student’s English ability.
The Bucksmore Assessment provides more relevant and appropriate language so learners are motivated to perform better than other, more adult-focused, exams.
Taken at the end of the course, the Bucksmore Assessment is designed to complement the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference) and to provide learners with a realistic determination of their English ability.
It can be applied against other international English exams such as Cambridge ESOL & IELTS. Students will leave the course with a certificate of recommended English level measured against the CEFR scale.
All students receive a personalised Bucksmore Education report card and certificate during the graduation ceremony at the end of their stay.
- 15 hours of English tuition each week
- 7.5 hours of animal care classes each week
- 2 full-day excursions and 1 half-day excursion
- Full afternoon and evening activity programme including sporting, cultural and fun games
- Bucksmore end-of-course Assessment
- Maximum class size of 11 students