Plumpton College is an amazing location at the foot of the South Downs and only 20 minutes away from the seaside town of Brighton. The College is an agricultural college during the academic year and as such it has a working farm; an Animal Care Centre; stables including one of the best horse-riding schools in the country; and beautiful grounds which can be used for outside activities.
A computer programming course for students aged 13-16
Bucksmore Coding provides students of all language abilities with the opportunity to combine English language tuition with learning the fundamental elements of software design.
This is a unique opportunity for students to bring together two key languages for the future: English and programming. The course runs as part of the larger Bucksmore Summer programme, with the addition of 7.5 hours of coding classes in a modern computer laboratory in place of English lessons.
As an introduction to computer programming, the course uses the innovative Raspberry Pi as a learning tool. The Raspberry Pi is miniaturised computer that allows anyone to explore the essentials of computing.
At the end of the course, all students are given their own Raspberry Pi to take home in order to continue their learning. Students will also have an understanding of the software and hardware components that form the structure of computer systems, and how they communicate with one another as well as other systems. This will help students identify and comprehend the function of the main internal parts of basic computing structures.
INCLUDED WITH BUCKSMORE CODING:
- 15 hours of English tuition per week
- 7.5 hours of coding classes each week
- 2 full-day excursions and 1 half-day trip per week
- Bucksmore Assessment, report card & certificate
- Full afternoon and evening activity programme on non-excursion days combined with students on Bucksmore Summer and Bucky Adventure programmes
- Maximum class size of 11 students for all English classes
- 15 hours of English tuition each week
- 7.5 hours of computer coding classes each week
- 2 full day excursions and 1 half day trip per week
- Full afternoon and evening activity programme including sporting, cultural and fun games
- Bucksmore end-of-course Assessment
- Maximum class size of 11 students