Find out everything you need to know about attending one of our courses in the UK or USA
Bucksmore have a wide variety of courses and locations for all ages, interests and language levels. We have something for everyone.
If you want any more details please contact Head Office. The more information you give us about yourself the better we will be able to help you choose the perfect course.
We have language level requirements for all of our courses apart from our English foundation courses at Plumpton, King Edward’s, King’s College London, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, St Hilda’s College, Oxford and the British Heritage Tour. If you don’t know what language level you are please download the Bucksmore language test from the “Downloads” page and email it to us. We will then email you back to inform you which course would be best for you. If your language level is too low we will suggest alternative programmes which will be much better for you.
Yes you can. Students can change from one course to another course during their stay provided they stay at least 2 weeks on one of the courses. For example, a student can study for 2 weeks on the Bucksmore Summer course at Plumpton College and then study for a further 2 weeks (or one week) on the Bucky Adventure course at Plumpton College.
Students can also change centres. For example, students can study for two weeks on a Bucksmore Summer programme at King Edward’s School before moving to St Hilda’s College for another one or two weeks.
Another popular option is to come to any Bucksmore centre for 2 weeks before switching to the British Heritage Tour of the UK. This is the perfect way to finish your visit to the UK.
In 2019 we welcomed students from over 70 different countries so yes, you definitely will! Every year we have returning students talking to their friends in different countries arranging the best time for them all to come back to Bucksmore together! Bucksmore is the perfect chance to meet young people from different cultures and backgrounds.
We recommend that you bring about £75 per week but it is entirely up to your parents how much they give you. You will need money for any souvenirs you want to buy on excursions or sweets! Be careful not to spend it all in the first week!
When you arrive at the centre you have to give all of your pocket money, airline tickets and documents to the Centre Manager. They will keep it safe for you. There will be a fixed ‘banking’ time each day and before all excursions when you will be able to ask for your money.
We strongly recommend that you avoid bringing expensive items such as jewellery or electronic equipment. If you do decide to bring valuables please keep them locked away at all times or hand them to the Centre Manager to look after them for you.
It depends on the centre. At most centres we offer a mix of single and double rooms but please see our brochure or the relevant webpage to find out exact accommodation details. All of our rooms are standard and there are no en-suites.
You can request a single or double room but we can’t guarantee we will be able to do as you ask. We will always do our best, but we can’t promise! The earlier you book the more likely we can give you what you ask for.
The food is good. Some centres are better than others but it is a very good standard everywhere. Our staff have to eat it too so we make sure it is tasty!
However, nothing ever tastes as good as your parents’ cooking so you have to be prepared to come to the UK and try new things.
Easy – we are on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in addition to a YouTube channel where you can watch videos from the summer and all the great Bucky Media productions! Become our friend on Facebook and receive all our status updates about what Bucksmore are doing now. Of course you can always email or phone us with any feedback or questions. We love hearing from you so please get in touch!
We have a set of rules which apply to all Bucksmore centres. These will be sent to you before the summer but they can be summarised below:
- Students must attend all classes and trips and activities unless given special permission by their Centre Manager not to do so.
- Students must observe the rules relating to any use of IT software provided at the Bucksmore centres.
- Students must observe bedtimes, and quiet must be maintained in bedrooms after lights out at night.
- Sporting facility rules must be strictly observed when students are using a sporting facility at one of our centres. For example, no student may enter the King Edward’s swimming pool if there is no lifeguard present.
- Students must hand in their airline tickets, passports and travellers’ cheques to the Centre Manager for safekeeping.
Student ‘must nots’
- Students must not leave the school or be absent from meals without permission from the Centre Manager.
- Students must not go into the bedrooms occupied by students of the opposite sex.
- Students must not bully other students. Bullying will not be tolerated. In serious cases students may be sent home.
- Fire escapes must not be used for fun. They are for emergency use only.
- Electronic devices must not be switched on or used during lessons, activities and after lights out.
- Students must not smoke. No smoking is allowed on any Bucksmore course at any time.
- Alcohol and illegal drugs are strictly prohibited. Students found to possess, use or supply alcohol or illegal drugs will be sent home with no refund of fees.
- Any students breaking these rules, or English law, or persisting in serious anti-social behaviour will be disciplined. In serious cases students may be sent home early with no refund of fees.
- Any student who causes damage or breakages may be charged for repairs or replacement.